TREVOR “the terrific dachshund” is actually quite tiny.
But you wouldn’t know it looking at this picture when he mysteriously ballooned to three times his size — and doctors don’t know how it happened.
Trevor punctured his windpipe which caused his small body to fill with air.
Luckily the precious pet didn’t inflate enough to blow away and he was admitted to Willows Vet Group for emergency care.
X-rays showed trapped air was causing Trevor’s skin to lift away from his body.
The injury caused an abnormal collection of air under the skin, which had caused the bubble wrap feeling.
Normally the air can absorb on its own but Trevor needed immediate help.
His vets were able to cut a hole in Trevor in order to deflate him and stop him filling up with air on every breathe.
His owners Francine and Jessica Jennings, from Cheshire, in the United Kingdom, came downstairs one morning to discover their usually small dog had blown up to gigantic proportions.
“His head and his neck all merged into one, so he was just like a super fat seal,” Jessica told the BBC.
“I was shocked, but really, really worried because I didn’t know what it was or where it had come from.”
Francine added: When we picked him up he felt full of air … and he crackled like bubble wrap underneath your fingers.”
Vet Michelle Coward told the BBC she had never seen a case like it before.
“There were no external injuries that would explain how air had got under the skin, so we suspected that an internal injury to the airway could have been allowing the air in,” Dr Coward said.
“Surgery was the only way to repair the injury but due to its location, there was a significant risk of complications.”
These days Trevor is back to normal and chasing the chickens on his property.